How to reset a Netgear router password if it malfunctions & causes your Internet connection to drop periodically. You may reset the device by pressing the restore factory settings button or by accessing the web interface. Use the restore factory setting button if you are not able to log in to the web interface. A factory reset restores the router’s settings to default values & erases all customization & you won’t be able to recover them. If you want to know about Netgear setup or are facing wi-fi-related issues, you can connect with the Netgear Router Support team for help.
Accessing the Web Interface
You can type 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 into your browser’s address bar and press Enter.
You can find the URL or IP address of Netgear routers on the back of the device. If the default IP addresses and URLs don’t work, you can use the Command Prompt to find the correct IP.
- Press Windows-X to display the Power User menu in Windows and select Command Prompt to open the utility.
- Type ipconfig into the Command Prompt and press Enter to obtain detailed information about the network.
- Locate the router’s IP address in the Default Gateway section and use it to access the Web interface.
Type the username and Netgear router password into the User Name and Password fields. The default username is username and password is a password on the Netgear router. If you want to know about Netgear setup or are facing wi-fi-related issues, you can connect with the Netgear Router Support team for help.
Restoring Settings from the Web
If you are not able to find the right username or password for routers cPanel, you must reset the router using the Restore Factory Settings button. Differently, Chose Backup Settings from the Maintenance section of the left tab & click the Erase button in the Revert to Factory Default Settings section to reset the Netgear router.
Some routers may not prompt you to confirm your action & reset immediately- restoring all settings to defaults & erasing all the customizations. Click ok to confirm if you are prompted and this would help you in how to reset a Netgear router password.
Power LED will blink & the router will start when the reset is complete. You can access the router when the Power LED turns solid green.
Using Factory Restore Button
You would see a restore factory settings button recessed in the case, on the back of the device for most routers like WNDR3300, WNR3500, WGT624, WPN824, DGN2000 and N300. Use the paperclip to press the restore factory settings button & hold it for at least 7 seconds or until the power LED starts to reset the router. Don’t make too much pressure on the restore factory settings button to avoid damaging it & voiding your router’s warranty. The device restarts after the reset are complete.
DGN2000 & DG834Gv5 routers do not have the Restore Factory Settings button. To reset them, you’ll need to hold the Wireless On/Off and WPS buttons for at least six seconds – or until the Power LED light starts to blink.
If you want to update the password of your Netgear router, consider changing the password. If you have forgotten the Netgear password, follow the steps for the factory reset method before you get a chance to change the password. Follow one out of the three methods if you want to know how to reset a Netgear router password? If you want to know about Netgear setup or are facing wi-fi-related issues, you can connect with the Netgear Router Support team for help.
We will tell you the three methods for understanding how to reset a Netgear router password. This is the first method that is related to the genie routers:
Method 1: Change the Password on Netgear Genie Routers- How to reset a Netgear router password
- Launch an Internet browser on your computer.
- Try this URL into the address bar of your Internet browser: “http://www.routerloginnet.co,” “http://192.168.1.1” or http://192.168.0.1. If at any point you changed the URL of the router, you need to type the URL you created.
- Type your router’s username & password in the fields provided. This is your initial step in knowing how to reset a Netgear router password. The default username and password for your Netgear genie would be “admin” and “password”. A user interface will display on the screen.
- Click on the tab labeled “Advanced,” and click on the “Setup” tab on the left.
- Click on “Wireless Setup.
- Delete current password next to field label as “passphrase” under “security options”. Type New password of your choice and click “apply” at top of the wireless setup window.
- Password of the Netgear genie router has now been changed.
- If you have a dual router with 2.4Ghz wireless band & 5Ghz wireless band, you will need to change the password in each section under the “security options”. Also, you need to change the password too.
Exit out of the Netgear Genie router interface. If you had any wireless devices connected to your router, you will have required to log in using the username and the new, updated password
Method 2: Change the password for old Netgear routers
- Open an Internet browser on your computer. Enter one of the following URLs into the address bar of your Internet browser: http://www.routerloginnet.co, “http://www.routerloginnet.co,” “http://192.168.1.1,” or http://192.168.0.1.
- If you have changed the default URL of the router at any point, you need to type the modified URL.
- Enter current Username & Password for your router into the fields. As you know already, the router’s default username and passwords are admin and password respectively. The Smart Wizard program for your Netgear router will display on the screen.
- Tap on “Wireless Settings” located below “Setup” in the Smart Wizard.
- Delete current password from “passphrase” from the “security options”
- Enter new password of your choice to “passphrase” field.
- Click on the “Apply” button at bottom of the window, then click on “Logout.” By doing this, your Netgear router password will officially change. Now you know how to reset a Netgear router password using this method.
Method 3: Restore Netgear router to factory settings
- Read the Netgear router to find a button labeled “Restore Factory Settings” or “Reset”. You will see that sometimes the button may not be labeled and recessed in the router.
- Don’t forget to hold down the reset button with your tools like paperclip or finger.
- Press the reset button till the light next to “power” or “test” begins to blink and this process can take up to 20 seconds.
- Wait for the router to fully reboot
Log in to the router with the default Netgear password “password.”
You may change the password by using the above methods. If the steps don’t work for you, unplug the router, hold down the reset button and reconnect with the routers’ power supply. Continue to hold down the reset button before following the rest of the steps for this login method.
Router Login Support for how to reset a Netgear router password
If you want to know how to reset a Netgear router password. We are a router expert team in the USA region and helping clients from the globe. Don’t forget to visit Netgear Router Support